June 06, 2017 3 min read
Catch a wave of summertime crafty inspiration with the MYNT3D beach accessories projects. These fresh projects are perfect for planning a pool party, decorating a beach house and everything in between.
Let's start by making a 3D blue whale.
IDEA: You can make this simply as decoration, but if you want to give it a purpose like holding down the napkins, add weights such as metal lures or marbles when you attach the two halves together.
2. Blue, black and white 1.75mm filament
3. Play dough modeling compound
4. Clear tape
1. Start by downloading the Beach-themed Projects Template. Use your printer settings to scale template if desired.
2. Form play dough to make the whale's body shape, based on the template outline.
3. Start heating your 3D pen. When it reaches the proper temperature, load blue filament.
4. Begin winding the filament around the head of the whale, going no further than the widest part of the form.
5. Repeat with the other, narrow end of the body form. The whale body will be created as two pieces that get connected together by crossing back and forth over the seam area with the 3D pen.
6. Trace the whale tail and flippers from the template, filling them in evenly.
7. Flip the tail to the backside. Repeat with another layer of filament while pressing down to form a curve in the tail as the piece is heated. This will contour the tail so that in can attach to the curved underside of the body form.
8. Attach the flippers and tail to the whale body.
9. Trace the eyes starting with the white.
10. While the white is loaded in the pen, trace the water splashes.
11. Attach the two larger splashes to the top of the whale head. Attach the smaller splashes perpendicular to the larger ones.
12. Load the black filament into the pen to finish filling in the eyes. Then attach the eyes to the whale face with an outline of black filament.
Comments will be approved before showing up.